Katie Taylor Closes A Big 2019 As the BWAA Women’s Pound-For-Pound No. 1
Twice a year, in June and December, the BWAA announces its women's top 10 pound-for-pound list, selected on a point system.
It’s been an amazing year for Katie Taylor. The 33-year-old from Bray, Ireland, earlier this week was chosen as the BWAA’s 2019 Female Fighter of the Year, and she closes 2019 as the BWAA’s pound-for-pound best, unseating Claressa Shields, the BWAA 2018 Female Fighter of the Year.
In other movement, Cecilia Braekhus goes from No. 1 to No. 2, switching places with Shields, while Amanda Serrano maintains her place at No. 4.
Belgium’s Delfine Persoon retains her ranking at No. 5, Yesica Yolanda Bopp stays at No. 6, while Daniela Bermudez moves from No. 8 to No. 7. Mariana Juarez switches from No. 9 to No. 8, Canada’s Jelena Mrdjenovich debuts at No. 9 and American Jessica McCaskill enters at No. 10.
Layla McCarter, Maiva Hamadouche, Marcela Eliana Acuna, Guadalupe Martinez Guzman, Jackie Nava, Kenia Enriquez also received consideration.
1. Katie Taylor - Ireland - 15-0
2. Cecilia Braekhus - Norway - 36-0
3. Claressa Shields - United States - 9-0
4. Amanda Serrano - United States - 37-1-1
5. Delfine Persoon - Belgium 44-2
6. Yesica Yolanda Bopp - Argentina - 36-1
7. Daniela Romina Bermudez - Argentina - 27-3-3
8. Mariana Juarez - Mexico - 54-9-4
9. Jelena Mrdjenovich - Canada - 40-10-2
10. Jessica McCaskill - United States - 8-2
OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES – Layla McCarter, Maiva Hamadouche, Marcela Eliana Acuna, Guadalupe Martinez Guzman, Jackie Nava, Kenia Enriquez
VOTERS – Jake Donovan, Sue Fox, Thomas Gerbasi, Mark Jones, Malissa Smith, Ryan Songalia