Claressa Shields Tops The BWAA's Women's Pound-For-Pound List For The First Time
Twice a year, in June and December, the BWAA announces its women's top 10 pound-for-pound list, selected on a point system.
For the first time, Claressa Shields, the BWAA 2018 Female Fighter of the Year, tops the list, unseating Cecilia Braekhus, who drops from No. 1 to No. 3. Ireland’s Katie Taylor, based on her two impressive wins, moves from No. 5 to No. 2, while Amanda Serrano stays at No. 4.
Belgium’s Delfine Persoon enters the rankings at No. 5, based on her majority-decision loss to Taylor in what was a classic, on the Andy Ruiz Jr.-Anthony Joshua undercard on June 1. Yesica Yolanda Bopp stays at No. 6, while Layla McCarter falls from No. 3 to No. 7. Daniela Bermudez drops from No. 6 to No. 8, Mariana Juarez also falls from the previous three-way tie at No. 6 to No. 9 and Argentina’s Marcela Eliana Acuna debuts at No. 10.
Naoko Fujioka, Kenia Enriquez, Jelena Mrdjenovich, Jackie Nava, Jessica McCaskill, Guadalupe Martinez Guzman and Maiva Hamadouche also received consideration.
1. Claressa Shields - United States - 9-0
2. Katie Taylor - Ireland - 14-0
3. Cecilia Braekhus - Norway - 35-0
4. Amanda Serrano - United States - 36-1-1
5. Delfine Persoon - Belgium 43-2
6. Yesica Yolanda Bopp - Argentina - 36-1
7. Layla McCarter - United States - 43-13-5
8. Daniela Bermudez - Argentina - 25-3-3
9. Mariana Juarez - Mexico - 53-9-4
10. Marcela Eliana Acuna - Argentina - 49-7-2
OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES – Naoko Fujioka, Kenia Enriquez, Jelena Mrdjenovich, Jackie Nava, Jessica McCaskill, Guadalupe Martinez Guzman, Maiva Hamadouche
VOTERS – David Avila, Jake Donovan, Sue Fox, Thomas Gerbasi, Mark Jones, Malissa Smith